In the historical centre of Nibbiano, the simple façade of a building conceals the original stones used to build it; these stones tell the history of the place and its surroundings.
The building was part of the old castle belonging to Marie Louise of Austria, Duchess of Parma and Piacenza and Napoleon’s wife (he had already travelled through this area as a young general in 1796) who lived in this area in 1831.
In 1773, Duchess Maria Amalia, daughter of Empress Maria Theresa of Austria, stayed in the Trevozzo and Sala Mandelli castles.
Jose Nicolas Azzara (1730 - 1804)  became the Marquess of the castle in 1765 (after the Signoria of the Malvicini-Fontana family), under the reign of Ferdinand, Duke of Parma, when the castle still retained its original appearance. He was a diplomat, and a member of the Spanish House of Bourbon, who intervened between Rome and revolutionary France.
It was he who signed the Bologna treaty with Napoleon Bonaparte (1796) and was awarded a medal for his actions: he became the first Marquess of Nibbiano and this title was handed down in the family for four generations.
The residence was still in use during Duchess Marie Louise’s time for summer receptions for the nobility and the court.
Many famous nobles used to attend these places, including the Colombarola Estate, where they admired the natural beauty of the area and the typical local products, especially the wines.
Wines were served not only at official dinners but also during courtesy calls to estates in the area; they enhanced traditional dishes with their distinctive taste and aroma, making these events more convivial and helping to form new relationships and friendships.